FPS Creator X10
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HUD overlay - fills screen with a helmet look!

+3
Jason Brook
DarthDementous
First Company Veteran
7 posters

Go down

HUD overlay - fills screen with a helmet look! Empty HUD overlay - fills screen with a helmet look!

Post  First Company Veteran Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:04 am

An idea just popped into my head a while ago: What if I made a view like looking through a visor? So I created a HUD, then scripted it to work when the level starts. Screenshot (Taken in X9 sorry):
HUD overlay - fills screen with a helmet look! Fpsc_h10
What do you think of it?

-EDIT- My bad, I thought I was posting this in the M&M section, sorry, can you move it please Jason?

Last edited by First Company Veteran on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
First Company Veteran
First Company Veteran
Basic Contributer
Basic Contributer

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-12-01

http://www.hazzaslogos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

HUD overlay - fills screen with a helmet look! Empty Re: HUD overlay - fills screen with a helmet look!

Post  DarthDementous Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:37 am

Looks great, but I don't think the player has enough visibility. It will just get frustrating when the player is only able to see such a small amount of the screen. I would make the visor part taller.
DarthDementous
DarthDementous
Newsletter Editor and Moderator

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-11-05

http://www.dementousorder.darkbb.com/

Back to top Go down

HUD overlay - fills screen with a helmet look! Empty Re: HUD overlay - fills screen with a helmet look!

Post  First Company Veteran Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:49 am

Ah,

I'll make a second one which will be free to all users hopefully soon. That will have better visibility.

-FCV
First Company Veteran
First Company Veteran
Basic Contributer
Basic Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Brook Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:15 pm

Moved as requested.
Jason Brook
Jason Brook
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-10-26

https://fpscx10.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  First Company Veteran Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Thank you Jason. I now have made the 2nd HUD and will post a screenshot now for preview:

HUD overlay - fills screen with a helmet look! Fpsc_h11

This will be a free download if it is okay.
First Company Veteran
First Company Veteran
Basic Contributer
Basic Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jingle Fett Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:08 pm

This is exactly what I've been trying to do! I have my full-screen overlays ready but have had trouble getting them in-game...could you share how you got them to work? (not the actual making of the overlay, but getting it in-game)
Jingle Fett
Jingle Fett

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  DarthDementous Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:14 pm

Looks great! A tutorial would be VERY much appreciated!
Also, I may just be being picky, but I think it is still a bit intrusive, in my opinion. I know it's realistic, but I think it still limits the player's sight a bit too much. Then again, I haven't personally played with it ingame, so I can't judge it yet.
DarthDementous
DarthDementous

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-11-05

http://www.dementousorder.darkbb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mgarand Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:48 pm

;Artificial Intelligence Script

helm script

;Header

desc = helmet script. made by red-eagle productions

;Triggers

:state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=50,hudimagefine=gamecore\huds\helm.png,hudname=helm,hudhide=1,hudmake=display,state=1
:state=1,scancodekeypressed=28:hudshow=helm,sound=audiobank\switches\activate.wav,state=2
:state=2,scancodekeypressed=0:state=3
:state=3,scancodekeypressed=28:hudunshow=helm,sound=audiobank\switches\activate.wav,state=4
:state=4,scancodekeypressed=0:state=1

everywhere where you see helm in the script, you give that your helm name, place the helm (need to be a .png) in the gamecore/hud folder, make a triggerzone with this script as main. and there you go Smile
mgarand
mgarand
Advanced Contributer
Advanced Contributer

Number of posts : 74

Back to top Go down

Post  First Company Veteran Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:49 pm

???I had a basic hudshow and hudmake on mine, I'll post a tutorial tomorrow.

-EDIT- Oh, and please tell me if you would want one of these HUDs and the script free, either one, the other will be hopefully sold in the TGC store. It's a whole forum decision, so I'll take the highest votes for the most popular HUD. I'll check the results tomorrow as I have to go now Sad.

Looks great! A tutorial would be VERY much appreciated!
Also, I may just be being picky, but I think it is still a bit intrusive, in my opinion. I know it's realistic, but I think it still limits the player's sight a bit too much. Then again, I haven't personally played with it ingame, so I can't judge it yet.

It's basically what you would see if you were someone like a Republic Commando from Star Wars (the XBOX game), but if it's too tight for view, then I might be able to edit it. I'll probably make a Dead Space helmet next, like the Level 5 suit or something.

place the helm (need to be a .png)

I have mine as .DDS files as they're better quality than .PNGs.
First Company Veteran
First Company Veteran
Basic Contributer
Basic Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jingle Fett Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Hehe Republic Commando FTW Very Happy

Maybe something that could help improve the visibility issue slightly would be to make the parts closer to the center of the screen more transparent? Granted, it wouldn't be 100% realistic, but it would make up for that in terms of convenience. For example, if I were to make the HUD of the Dead Space helmet, I would make the bars that cross the center semi-transparent so that they'd still be there, but not completely in the way. I'd also try to make those parts useful, so maybe move the health indicators and all that onto the more solid/visible parts? (Kind of how the health bar in Halo 3 is integrated into the HUD). The very edges could be solid, sort of like in Metroid Prime too.

On a side note, if you want an idea that I think would be uber cool, it'd be a HUD overlay based on Boba/Jango Fett's helmet... Very Happy
Jingle Fett
Jingle Fett

Back to top Go down

Post  mgarand Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:37 pm

well not much games has a helm, it's not very usefull (only a nightvision in cod4)
if it got special ablity i say yes
mgarand
mgarand
Advanced Contributer
Advanced Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post  First Company Veteran Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:15 am

Hehe Republic Commando FTW

Maybe something that could help improve the visibility issue slightly would be to make the parts closer to the center of the screen more transparent? Granted, it wouldn't be 100% realistic, but it would make up for that in terms of convenience. For example, if I were to make the HUD of the Dead Space helmet, I would make the bars that cross the center semi-transparent so that they'd still be there, but not completely in the way. I'd also try to make those parts useful, so maybe move the health indicators and all that onto the more solid/visible parts? (Kind of how the health bar in Halo 3 is integrated into the HUD). The very edges could be solid, sort of like in Metroid Prime too.

On a side note, if you want an idea that I think would be uber cool, it'd be a HUD overlay based on Boba/Jango Fett's helmet...

I've only played SW:RC round my friend's house lol. I'll post up a PDF tutorial on HUD elements hopefully today (If I know how to make PDFs afro)

-EDIT- New HUD under development: Dead Space Isaac Clarke Level 4-ish helmet! Screenshots will be posted later with both variations.
First Company Veteran
First Company Veteran
Basic Contributer
Basic Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post  uthink Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:02 am

I think helms would be handy especially for use in water scenes. Scuba masks, space suits etc. The trick is to make the helm look bowed as if it were curving around your face.

I know X9 now has headshots. Anyone know if bad guys can do a headshot on you? I doubt it, but if they could, you could write a script what would reduce headshot damage if you had a helm on. That would add more purpose to having one.
uthink
uthink
Basic Contributer
Basic Contributer

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post  mgarand Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:11 am

yeh, but for now. it's not usefull. let's wait for the source code Rolling Eyes
mgarand
mgarand
Advanced Contributer
Advanced Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post  First Company Veteran Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:59 am

I'm not sure if that would work, but as mgarand said, we'll have to wait for the source code. I'm basically sticking to X9 more as that has headshots and whatnot until X10 releases hopefully a performance update and more features scratch.

Sent you a tutorial DarthDementous and Jingle Fett. Anyone else who wants a tutorial can ask me.
First Company Veteran
First Company Veteran
Basic Contributer
Basic Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post  rakker126 Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:02 pm

I would love to have a tot
rakker126
rakker126
Expert Contributer
Expert Contributer

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Jingle Fett Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:38 pm

I have yet to try it or anything, but by chance do you know if it is possible to have normal maps as part of the HUD? Because if you could then you could have some really neat refractive effects...

I followed the tutorial..I have a weird problem though. I wrote the .fpi and I put it in the FPSC X10 Files\scriptbank\user folder. However, when I select it in the "main" of the trigger zone, it just doesn't appear. All the other scripts show up, but this one is invisible or hidden or something...
Jingle Fett
Jingle Fett

Back to top Go down

Post  uthink Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:50 pm

Odds are that if there are no normal maps for the default HUD, then it's not supported.
uthink
uthink
Basic Contributer
Basic Contributer

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post  First Company Veteran Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:48 am

I have yet to try it or anything, but by chance do you know if it is possible to have normal maps as part of the HUD? Because if you could then you could have some really neat refractive effects...

I'll look into that, but I doubt it'll work.
First Company Veteran
First Company Veteran
Basic Contributer
Basic Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down